Everything you need to live comfortably in your new home
Moving into an apartment can be an exciting experience, especially if this is the first time living on your own. Now that you have found the perfect place, signed the lease, and handed over a check, all that’s left to do is move in and start your new life, right?
Actually, there is a little more to it than that.
While renting an apartment may seem easy at first, there are several things you should do before moving in to ensure a smooth transition.
Countdown to Moving Day
6 to 8 weeks prior
- Study your lease to make sure you understand all move-in/move-out protocols.
- Decide whether you want to hire a moving company or bribe your truck-owning friends with pizza and beer in exchange for essential moving services.
- Figure out your moving budget.
- Inform the proper parties of your upcoming move (current landlord, employers, utility companies, parents, etc.).
- Start hoarding boxes and packing tape.
4 to 5 weeks prior
- Sort and purge things that you don’t need.
- Helpful tip: If you haven’t used it in 3 years and it has no sentimental value, put it in the donation pile.
- Cancel/transfer all utilities (gas, electricity, Internet, cable)
- Request time off of work for the move, if necessary
- Fill out change of address forms (post office, bank, magazines, groups you belong to)
- Start using up perishable food items that you don’t plan on taking with you
2 to 3 weeks prior
- Confirm all arrangements with utility companies and movers (professional or otherwise).
- Pack all nonessential items.
- Return all library items.
- Schedule a cleaning day.
1 week prior
- Finish packing.
- Helpful tip: Pack by room and label each box with what’s inside.
- Set aside an essentials box that has everything you will need for your first night in the new place.
- Set aside a box of cleaning supplies.
- Clean your current apartment.
- Schedule a complete walk-through with your current landlord, if applicable, so you can address any issues before it comes down to a fight over your security deposit.
Moving day – saying goodbye to your old place
- Pack up last-minute items.
- Coordinate your moving crew and load up all boxes and furniture.
- Take out the trash and complete final cleaning tasks.
- Turn of all lights and hand in your keys.
Moving Day – Hello new apartment!
- Walk through the apartment with your new landlord and note the current condition.
- Helpful tip: Take lots of pictures. They will come in handy when it’s time to move again.
- Arrive before the moving company or your friends to unlock the apartment, prop open any gates, and clear a safe path to your unit.
- Move boxes in, placing them in the correct room as you go.
- Compensate your moving crew (money or pizza/beer).
- Return any truck rentals.
- After such a long day, don’t feel bad if you just want to unpack your priority box and leave the rest for tomorrow.
The friendly team at Westbay Management Company is happy to provide you with more useful moving tips and tricks, so contact our outstanding property management company today!
Need advice on your upcoming move? Call (517) 487-2000!